Washington University in St. Louis' certificate in medical physics provides students with the coursework and clinical knowledge to prepare for careers in imaging, radiation therapy and medical physics.
Offered as a joint venture between the School of Medicine and the McKelvey School of Engineering, the PhD certificate in medical physics program is an 18-hour credit program, offered in a one- or two-year format.
The objective of the program is to provide students with the basic and applied scientific knowledge necessary for further education and research in medical physics, and for entry into a medical physics residency (radiation oncology or diagnostic 7 radiology) leading to a career in clinical medical physics.
At the completion of the program, candidates will have:
- an understanding of the role of patient safety in the clinical physics;
- necessary physical and scientific background for a career in medical physics;
- the ability to research and create new knowledge; and
- the ability to critically evaluate research and scholarship, and identify new solve problems in medical physics.
The program will also help develop communication and interpersonal skills necessary of a collaborative, multidisciplinary environment.
Requirements for Completion
In order to successfully complete the PhD certificate in medical physics, a candidate must have:
- three high-level courses in physics at the undergraduate level or a minor in physics
- completed a PhD in physics, engineering or associated discipline
- successfully complete the following courses:
|BIO 4580||Principles of Human Anatomy & Development||Fall, 3 ||Strait |
|ESE/BME 589 ||Biological Imaging Technology||Spring, 3||O’Sullivan|
|BME 5071||Radiobiology||Spring, 2||Rogers|
|BME 5072||Radiation Oncology Physics||Spring, 3||Zoberi|
|BME 507||Radiological Physics & Dosimetry||Fall, 3||Zhang|
|BME 5073||Radiation Protection & Safety||Fall, 2||Khan|
|TBD||Advance Clinical Medical Physics Lab||Summer, 2||TBD|
Although certificate programs do not qualify for federal loan programs, private loans could be available.